(Tripling Testosterone Cheat Sheet)

Male Checkup – Testosterone Assessment -  ZRT makes both a blood and saliva home testosterone test kit.

Protocol #1: Long-Term and Sustained

Protocol #2: Short-Term and Fun “Nitro Boost”

• 20-24 Hours Prior to Sex: Eat at least 800 milligrams of Cholesterol (example: four or more large whole eggs or egg yolks) within three hours of bedtime, the night before you want to have incredible sex. Why before bed? Testosterone is derived from cholesterol, which is primarily produced during sleep (between midnight and 4:00 – 6:00 A.M.).
    • Four Hours Prior to Sex:
      1. Four Brazil Nuts
      2. Twenty Raw Almonds
      3. Two Capsules of the Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend – Capsules Adventures in Tripling Testosterone: The Four Hour Body Sex Machine: Protocol’s Simplified

Tests in my patient population have shown just about 99% to be deficient. This is in both the young and old, but those over 21 seem to be the most deficient. Some of my patients will commonly have levels around 6-10ng/ml. And this is in sunny California.

Although Costco Wholesale sells vitamin D3 tabs at a great price, I recommend buying a Vitamin D emulsion in liquid form because of better absorption. Make sure to have yourself tested before starting and then again in 30 days. Minimal targets are 50 ng/ml. More than 100ng/ml is considered excessive and more than 150 ng/ml is considered toxic.

Try to get 20 -30 minutes of sun exposure twice per week.

Also, supplemental vitamin D increases your need for Vitamin A, so make sure you take the cod liver oil which includes both.

Get all the products from this post right here with one click from Amazon.com

View all posts in this series

David March 11, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Thank you Stephen for the excellent cheat sheets, these have really helped me to organize a lot of the concepts in Tim’s book. I am on the way to the store to buy my Brazil nuts, and then toast to my testosterone!

Stephen March 11, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Thanks David, I hope it works like Tim Says it does, and whatever you do don’t forget your Vitamin D!

Joshua March 16, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Stephen March 18, 2011 at 1:00 am

Joshua thanks this is a great question and to be honest I am really not sure, but I am going to do some research and get back to you on this one. My wife and I are preparing (on rather short notice) to visit Nicole Daedone and One Taste this weekend where we have been invited to participate in a weekend session! It is being produced by CNN. So I am going to get back to you soon I promise, and if you have any questions for Nicole let me know I am trying to get some ideas, would love your input.

Joshua March 20, 2011 at 4:10 am

Thanks Stephen, hope you have fun with the weekend session with Nicole Daedone.

jorge March 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

The selenium in brazil nuts varies greatly from shelled to unshelled , shelled nuts have 12 -25 mcg of selenium whereas unshelled nuts avg 100 mcg per nut , 4-8 times as much selenium and less calories!

Stephen March 18, 2011 at 12:47 am

That is amazing! I had no idea there was such a difference. Thank you for pointing this out I don’t think this was addressed by Tim in his book. It would be interesting to test the difference of shelled versus unshelled nuts and it’s relationship to testosterone while using this protocol. Great info Jorge!

Max March 22, 2011 at 3:23 am

Stephen, this is a great site, thanks for putting it together! You made this part so easy, I ordered the cod-liver caps today and will try protocol #1. I’ll definitely report back if I get some good results.

Stephen March 22, 2011 at 7:11 am

Great Max good luck! Are you going to be checking your testosterone levels before and after the protocol? I have not yet tested the protocol, would be interesting to hear some real world results.

kirill August 7, 2011 at 8:33 am

hey,i live in israel and we dont have anything like Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend – Capsules….any suggestions for substitutes??

Brian Ogden October 1, 2011 at 8:40 am

Vitamin D3 is a fat soluble vitamin and it seems there is a toxicity threat if you consume too much, Timothy Ferris’s recommendation of D3 is over 1000% more than the recommended daily dose…any information on this fact?

Stephen October 1, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Thank you Brian for bringing up this point. It is a good question.

My answer would be this. Make sure you get your baseline vitamin D levels checked. You should then base your dosing on that number. This is the equation I use with my patients.

For every 1000 IU of vitamin D3 you consume, your serum levels should increase by 7-10. Remember I said should!

Here is a great article from one of my medical journals that I have used to guide my own recommendations when I prescribe Vitamin D for my patients. I think it should help and relieve any worries you may have.

Best of luck.

From Prescriber’s Letter; July 2010

Vitamin D doses vary widely and toxicity is rare.
To prevent deficiency 1000 to 2000 IU/day of vitamin D for adults and 400 IU/day for infants and children.
Most people will need supplements. We don’t get much vitamin D from the sun these days due to sunscreens, staying indoors, etc.
Diet usually isn’t enough, either. Very few foods contain vitamin D…and milk contains only 100 IU per cup.
Higher doses are needed to maintain adequate levels in some patients…or to treat a deficiency.
To treat deficiency in adults, prescribe 50,000 IU/week orally for 6 to 12 weeks then recheck levels. It’s okay to consume milk and multivits while on this weekly vitamin D dose.
Optimal blood levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D for bone health are at least 30 ng/mL…normal levels can reach 100 ng/mL. Increasing the dose by 1000 IU/day increases blood levels about 7 to 10 ng/mL.
Toxicity, hypercalcemia, and hyperphosphatemia usually don’t occur until vitamin D levels exceed 150 ng/mL.
Toxicity can occur with excessive doses such as 40,000 IU/day for one month in infants…and 50,000 IU/day for several months in adults.
Warn parents not to use vitamin D liquids dosed as 400 IU/DROP. Giving one dropperful or 1 mL by mistake can deliver 10,000 IU/day. FDA will force companies to provide no more than 400 IU per dropperful.
Patients sometimes ask if they can take vitamin D once a week or month for maintenance. Explain that it’s okay to take 14,000 IU once a WEEK…or 50,000 IU once a MONTH…instead of 2000 IU/day.
Encourage using D3 (cholecalciferol) since it’s more potent than D2 (ergocalciferol)…but D2 is also effective and okay to use

Phil Drolet November 9, 2011 at 7:11 am

Hey Steven, thanks for the tips. Got a hot date tomorrow… and I’ll be sure to use those tips. Gonna go make some eggs right now :)

Cheers,
Phil

Stephen November 11, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Hey Phil,

I hope those tips worked out for ya!

Steve

Brent November 22, 2011 at 9:00 am

i have only just started listening to the book, but plan on implementing much of what he has to offer soon. I am curious about making my own butter oil (aka clarified butter or ghee) which is very easy to do and taking liquid cod liver oil. These would be done to sidestep some of the cost of the supplements. any ideas on how much butter oil and cod liver oil is in the pills?

Stephen November 23, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Brent, I wish I could help you on this one but I am just not sure and it is not available on the product labeling. I think you have a great idea though and I would love it if you came back and shared with us the process of making this. I would contact Green Pasture through their web site and ask them directly:

Good luck, I may look into this as well when I have a little more time because I think it is a great question. Maybe you can send us a video of the process when you have it up and running. I am sure a lot of people would be interested!

Steve

Bob December 28, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Steve,

I plan to begin following protocol #1, and I got the Blue Ice and the Costco D3 tabs, Brazil nuts, etc. I am following the 4HB diet and have lost just over 40 lbs (30 more to go), and I am also taking the PAAG stack. I was hoping to begin taking a daily multivitamin in the morning. Are the Blue Ice blend and the D3 tabs ok to take with all of this other stuff? I know that policosanol has an effect on cholesterol, so I didn’t want there to be interaction, etc. Your thoughts?

Stephen December 28, 2011 at 11:41 pm

First of all way to go Bob, you have already increased your total testosterone by losing that 40 lbs. There is a testosterone curve that is directly correlated to body fat so in that sense this and the next 30 lbs. you are on your way to losing is spectacular. WAY TO GO!!

As for your question: This really depends on the daily multivitamin you are going to be taking and your baseline serum Vitamin D levels. If you haven’t checked I would recommend doing this simple blood test. The AMA recommends 2000IU per day from all sources, but you can safely take more depending again on your baseline. If you scan up on the comments you will see that a safe range is up to 100ng/ml. I find most people who have not been taking a vitamin supplements will be in the range of 20-30ng/ml but this depends a lot on skin color and sun exposure. Bottom line is get tested and then look at your MVI, Cod Liver Oil Blend, and D3 tabs to calculate roughly the amount of vitamin D you are getting on a daily bases. Knowing that for each 1000IU your total vitamin D will go up about 7-10ng/ml. Get retested again in 1-2 months. And while you are at it have them check your electrolytes and LFT’s if you haven’t allready.

PAGG should be safe with Blue Ice and D3… your MVI will be the variable. I usually recommend looking for an MVI with the following specifications: Whole foods if you have one is a good place to start:

o no preformed vitamin A (retinol)
o mixture of carotanoids: should contain luteun and lycopeine
o should provide vitamin E as mixed natural tocopherals not just as D alpha docopheral or synthetic DL alpha tocopheral. And mixed tocotrienols the other part of the vitamin E complex.
o 50 mg each of most B vitamins expect for folic acid at least 400mcg and Vit b12 50mcg
o 200mg of vitamin C max
o Not iron unless anemic, menstruating women
o No more than 200mcg of selenium
o Some Calcium (preferable calcium citrate)
o Take any time of day with full stomach always
o Vitamins d and E and carotinoids need fat to to be absorbed do not take with low fat breakfast
o Women 1200-1500mg of CA as Calcium citrate
o Men should get no more than 1000-1200mg dail of all sources, take calcium with meals

That is a rough guideline that you can use as you sort through all the millions of options. Don’t forget you get plenty of natural vitamins from all those fresh veggies you are eating on your slow carb diet.

Also don’t forget: “There are no limits to the bounds of moderation!”

Best of luck Bob, Give us a report sometime when you reach your goal.

Steve

Brin December 29, 2011 at 4:02 am

Hi Stephen,

I have a question about this method. I have heard many good things about fermented cod liver oil. but hearing about its effects for testosterone, although brilliant for men, I am curious about its effects on women. Would it also raise a woman’s testosterone levels or would it have the opposite (and I am assuming more positive effect) of increasing oestrogen?

Stephen December 31, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Brin,
This is one of the best questions I have seen here in the comments. I say this because I wasn’t sure of the answer and then I have had a heck of a time trying to find a good one for you.

You may have noticed that in the 4HB Tim talks about how his protocol increases LH and Testosterone… If this is true then it would be correct to assume that an increase in LH could theoretically cause a (possibly transient) increase in circulating estrogen that is based on a women’s cycle.

Tim actually has a good diagram in the book that shows the Hypothalamus – Pituitary – Testes axis. For a women replace the testes with ovaries. The ovaries produce both testosterone and estrogen. Relatively small quantities of testosterone are released into your bloodstream by the ovaries and adrenal glands. In addition to being produced by the ovaries, estrogen is also produced by fat tissue in the body.

The truth is it would very interesting to test this. Vitamin D increases production of Testosterone through it’s action on the Leydig cells which are found in the testes. Testosterone and estrogen are synthesized through cholesterol which could be affected by the cod liver oil, but this is also high in vitamin D and Vitamin A.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Environmental factors affecting testosterone levels include:

Weight loss makes fat men more masculine. Fat cells synthesise the enzyme aromatase which converts testosterone, the male sex hormone, into estradiol, the female sex hormone.

The hormone vitamin D in levels of 400-1000 IU (10-25 mcg) raise testosterone level.

Zinc deficiency lowers testosterone levels but over supplementation has no effect on serum testosterone.
Magnesium raise free testosterone according to studies.
Implicit power motivation[clarification needed] predicts an increased testosterone release in men.
Aging reduces testosterone release.
Hypogonadism
Sleep (REM dream) increases nocturnal testosterone levels.
Resistance training increases testosterone levels,however, in older men, that increase can be avoided by protein ingestion.
Licorice. The active ingredient in licorice root, glycyrrhizinic acid has been linked to small, clinically non-significant decreases in testosterone levels. In contrast, a more recent study found that licorice administration produced a substantial testosterone decrease in a small, female-only sample.
Natural or man-made antiandrogens including spearmint tea reduce testosterone levels.

Interestingly I could not find the same table on estrogen production.

BOTTOM LINE:
Vitamin D promotes testosterone production in the testes, It also seems to cause an increase in estrogen production in the ovaries… I am not sure how much it effects testosterone production in females…. but probably some. I would assume in balance?
Estrogen is produced through cholesterol synthesis as is testosterone, I am not sold that cod liver oil and butter oil and their associated cholesterol is the reason for this rise.
I think you should test this protocol for us. Or if you are in California let me know, I would love to test this protocol and the associated effects on female hormones for you! I am sure a lot of people (including myself) would love to know the answer.

Brin January 3, 2012 at 1:33 am

Wow, Thanks Stephen. This is so interesting. Thanks for going to the hard work to research this for me. One reason I asked is because I recently did a saliva test and my adrenal production 3 times higher then it should be, my estrogen was low and testosterone was higher then normal. I had been having irregular periods a year ago and My cycle became regular through seeing a natropath and now we are working on bringing the adrenalin down (It has been causing all sorts of issues like weight gain on belly and hormones etc) Hence, my interest in whether it would be detrimental or benificial for my situation.

So, unfortunately I am no where near California. I live in Sydney, Australia :-) Thank you so much for offering to test this for me!
However, what would I need to do to test this? It would be very interesting…

Thanks again.

Christina Crowell January 7, 2012 at 8:32 am

I am 5’10 male my weight is 240 I really want to lose weight get to 190 is my goal. I go to the gym 5 times a week and I been eating healthy but now i want to try a diet supplement to help me lose weight faster and build muscle at the same time what should I take?

Makers| and wholesalersof dietary supplements now actively lace their formulas with prescription drugs or analogs fully aware of the dangers posed to consumers. People who run these operations knowingly adulterating their supplements are true criminals motivated by greed and a lack of conscience for the health risks to the consumer.}

Tom January 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

Hi Stephen, I love the site and how easy it is to reference chapters in the book. I’ve started Protocol 1 for tripling my testosterone. I’ve been eating brazil nuts, taking Vitamin D3, cold showers in morning and night, I’m just waiting on the cod liver oil blend tablets to come in. My question is if you’ve read or heard of any actual results like in the book. For example, increased attention from women haha. I can’t find anything online of stories of men who’ve tried the Protocols and received results. The story in the book is so fascinating how Tim’s girlfriend just goes mad for him when she’s around him, but no one else has seemed to share a similar story. Can you help me with any stories or experiences you’ve heard?

Stephen January 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Tom,

Man you hit the nail on the head! The answer is no, no, and no. No one has really tested these theories as far as I can tell. There is some wonderful stuff in this book but most of the attention is on the dietary portion of the book. I love to see that other people like yourself are asking these important questions.

In fact I am hoping this year to start testing some of these theories on myself. I have just began the PAGG supplement stack and will be posting about my protocol and how I am going to be tracking lab values etc. etc. to see if this is really worth the money or if it just wishful thinking.

Tom, depending on where you live it would be quite easy to get a total testosterone level checked: places like Quest Labs or Lab Corps in the US would be able to offer this for cheap. It would be really interesting to see a before and after. Would love it if you told us about your experience sometime on the blog. Or even better yet, how the girl on the subway started losing control when you sat down next to her :)

fat loss February 10, 2012 at 3:52 am

A quick brown

gain muscle burn fat February 15, 2012 at 9:34 am

Great viewpoint on gaining muscle I wish it was easy to get buff like others you see in the magazines.

nupi February 18, 2012 at 8:05 am

High vitamin butter oil is hard to get where I am so I am trying to see if K2 would do as some sources claim activator X is really K2 although it is a bit unclear if its MK4 or MK4 . However, considering that Mk7 is significantly more bio-available, that is likely a more effective choice. Specifically I am supplementing 100mg of Natto derived MK7. We will see what happens.

(the effect on girls frankly sounds like BS to me but confidence itself can definitely have some impact)

Stephen February 18, 2012 at 8:50 am

I would love it if you came back and told us about your results. Are you going to be tracking your testosterone levels?

John February 25, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Greats series of posts. Trying to understand what is the advantage of “Green Pasture Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil/Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend” in addition to normal Omega-3. If I am ingesting daily dose of 2 g EPA/1.5 g DHA Omega-3 do I still need the butter oil/cod liver blend?

Stephen February 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I am going to send you to a great resource that I was just listening to this weekend. This is truly a definitive guide to fish oil… The best I have seen to date! Here is the link:

The big advantage that I can see is that it is cold processed and has a lot of K2 which is very important. You wouldn’t need both your fish oil and this you would want one or the other… Preferably this.

According to Chris (and various other sources):

Advantages to taking Green Pastures are: a whole-food product in its natural form, rather than a supplement. Is relatively low in EPA & DHA compared to other products, but contains high levels of vitamin D, as well as vitamins A & K. The fat soluble vitamins A, D & K2 are important co-factors and likely improve the absorption and assimilation of EPA & DHA. Addition of grass-fed butter oil increases levels of K2. Cold-processed with fermentation, which means this is the least oxidized product available.

Best of luck,

Kayseri Escort Masal March 7, 2012 at 11:20 am

Hello.. my name is Masal.. i like this site. i think i will coming everyday :)

Stephen March 8, 2012 at 8:17 am

Thanks Masal!

Weight loss March 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful article. Many thanks for supplying this information.

Roy April 6, 2012 at 11:35 am

Stephen,
Thanks for putting all the wonderful information together. I have been taking saw palmetto supplements as a DHT blocker for my hair loss and it seems to help. However, do you think that with my testosterone spike I need to increase my dosage of saw palmetto?

Stephen April 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Well, looking at the state of Tim’s scalp I think you have a good question :)

Research indicates that the hair follicles of individuals susceptible to male pattern baldness may have receptors programmed to slow down or shut off hair production under the influence of androgen’s although I have never heard of a study demonstrating that an increase in total serum testosterone bolsters this process.

You may have to see for yourself. And then adjust accordingly.

Some natural remedy’s to consider:
1. Use apple cider vinegar and sage tea rinse to help hair grow.
2. Ginkgo biloba improves circulation to the scalp.
3. Green tea and pygeum aid in reducing hair loss also in men.
4. Massage 10 drops of tea tree oil into the scalp, then shampoo your hair in the usual fashion.

Great question though, this is something I never really considered!

Jeffrey August 25, 2012 at 7:20 am

Hi, Stephen. This will be a lengthy post but I think you will find it interesting. I’m a 57 year old male in good health. At age 53, I noticed a drop off of energy, lack of strength and inability to achieve an erection. I was miserable and felt totally emotionally empty.The only emotion I felt was anger. My doctor confirmed my testosterone level had dropped so he prescribed Androgel 5mg/day. Within 60 days I felt great! Strength, energy and erections all good again. At age 56, I noticed things had backed off a bit so I started looking for OTC supplements that might help. I read 4Hour Body and decided to try Tim’s Testosterone boosting protocol with a few modifications. This is what I did;
Royal Blue Ice Butter Oil/ Fermented Cod Liver Oil/ 2 caps twice/day.
20 raw almonds/day
Vit D3/8000iu/day.(My doctor confirmed my D level was low.)
I did NOT do ice baths. No Way.
I hate Brazil nuts. I tried Selenium caps from GNC but had no noticeable effect.
I had my annual physical in Jan, 2012 and now I have blood work results to confirm that this did work.
Jan. 2012 blood work results;
Testosterone; 412
Vit. D; 19.2
July 2012 blood work results;
Testosterone 466
Vit. D; 44
As you can see, I had a real increase in Test, and D levels. I feel good, have good strength and energy and sexual function is much improved. I firmly believe the Vit. D level is very important to this equation. I noticed many years ago that I always felt better in Summer when I was outside a lot more and got some sun.
Based on my personal experience, I believe Tim’s protocol/modified has definitely helped me and I plan to continue with it. I am always looking for anything else that may help and if something works for me I will update you.

ayhan November 8, 2012 at 9:41 am

Ryan Burkitt December 8, 2012 at 7:15 am

Hi there-
Just curious – what should my testosterone level be at?
I am 45 and my most recent blood work has me at 15.10 nmol/L (which I think translates to about 300ng/ml). That is in the range of healthy according to the medical community. but I have all the symptoms of Low T so I am going to try protocol #1.

Cheers

Stephen December 22, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hi Ryan, 300 is in the range of a normal total testosterone, but you have nothing to lose by trying the T boosting protocol. I will be interested to know if your symptoms improve. Everybody is different. I see this in many treatments such as those for thyroid. Often people feel much better at a level that is above the minimums and in this case at 45 normals are around 600 with a standard deviation of plus or minus 200… So you are a bit low.

Lincoln Nearing April 15, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Hello, Lincoln I have been battling with insomnia for 40 plus years can’t seem to get a answer on what(?) I tried anything from the kitchen sink no luck acupuncture, back chirco, talking psychologist, eating differently, nothing seems to work! Now, I take kloponin benzo, remeron anti depressant, melatonin, sleep time tea jus to a couple hours of sleep. I know hormones are out of balance and need to back to normal, I have buy a ring of power gadget where you place a zinc alloy with a copper alloy to the testicles area to stimulate LH cells have you heard anything good about this theory? If I could get the sleep problem fixed most of my problems wouldn’t exist. Thank you

gurpreet June 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm

excellent aawesome articcle…thankkku SOO MUCH BRO..
may I ask..
if this is required for a 22 year old guy like me :B ?

also..i take in 20 mins of sunlight after 5pm as its hot (45 degree ) every other day or two days…so thats my vit D…:)

and where i live dont get brazil nuts…howz spirulina for selenium and other general alternative to brazil nuts in the whole nutritional aspect

and I sleep late and get up later(get my 8 hr sleep) can this still work in the morning..cz i usually take my supps(elemental zinc) between 2-3 am cz I’v read thats another time T goes up..

also can u please tell me how do I know i’v got the right fish oil .. what shd I be looking for and what to avoid(ingredients)

thaanks :))

Stephen June 20, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Questions:

1. Is this required for a 22 year old guy like me? No it is not.
2. I take in 20 mins of sunlight after 5pm as its hot (45 degree ) every other day or two days…so thats my vit D: Get your vitamin D levels checked, and aim for a level of 55-60ng/ml. Banking on sun exposure may prove insufficient in many cases.
3. howz spirulina for selenium and other general alternative to brazil nuts in the whole nutritional aspect: The best way to get your selenium may very well be through natural sources: What food are high in Selenium: Oysters, Avocados and Brazil Nuts.
4. can this still work in the morning..cz i usually take my supps(elemental zinc) between 2-3 am cz I’v read thats another time T goes up: If you mean in the morning as in 2am yes, absolutely it will work.
5. can u please tell me how do I know i’v got the right fish oil .. what shd I be looking for and what to avoid(ingredients: Here is an article I wrote a while back on Fish Oil: http://www.4hourlife.com/2012/01/22/costco-vs-the-world-round-1-fish-oil-and-the-search-for-the-ultimate-omega/. Personally I prefer Nordic Naturals over all others, and like the EPA/DHA ratio of their “PRO Omega”.

- Stephen

gurpreet June 21, 2013 at 8:09 am

The 2-3 am was a typo…its 2-3 PM afternoon…also avocados ousters and braizil nuts are not available. .any other good alternative? ? :))

And shd i bring my T back specially when i have ejaculated. .like revv it up to its normal point or Am i fussing too much?
In any case i do take 25 mg of zinc evryday…shd i lessen…or is it needed?

And tha k u to replying to all the questions so well :))

Jimmy C. June 25, 2013 at 5:44 am

I have a nut allergy, do you know of any comparable alternatives to Brazil nuts?

Kyrie Irving June 30, 2013 at 10:11 am

Is it okay to be following these guidelines if you are only 18 yrs old?

And how do you get checked for ur Vit. D levels at a local hospital? Is it very expensive to do?

Stephen June 30, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Yes it is, but you should but remember that “there are no limits to the bounds of moderation” and that “more does not always equal better. There are several independent laboratories where you can have your D and total T levels checked without a doctors orders. Otherwise if you are in the US and you have insurance I would ask to have these added onto your routine physical exam. Most insurance companies cover vitamin D testing, if you are young they may not cover testosterone testing unless there is a “medical indication.” In central CA the Vitamin D test through labcorps runs about $35 dollars. You can do a home test through ZRT http://www.4hourlife.com/vitaminD. Aim for serum levels of at least 55 and below 100. I personally take 5000 IU daily to reach these goals (and I get a lot of sun).

Matthew July 24, 2013 at 10:13 am

How important would you say the cold shower part is for protocol 1? As in, if I do all the other steps of taking the brazil nuts (i also regularly eat almonds, which I dont know why theyre in protocol 2 but not 1), cod liver-butter and D3. I tried utilizing the cryotherapy methods for fat loss and it was difficult for me to consistently get myself to do cold showers, I HATE THEM!

Stephen July 25, 2013 at 8:14 am

I don’t think it is worth the misery personally. I would suggest kicking your feet up instead! Watch this video by Harvard Business School researcher Amy Cuddy on her Ted talk http://on.ted.com/Cuddy. Why freeze when you can throw your hands up and boost your testosterone by 20% instead? Seriously!

- Stephen

Ray Barber July 26, 2013 at 9:20 am

10 minute cold showers can be a challenge during Phoenix summers, as ground water rarely gets cold! I’ve had a lot of success with ice packs on the neck/shoulders for 30 minutes. Combine with Amy Cuddy’s TED talk for added benefits!*

*Multi-tasking courtesy of, umm, every woman I know!

- Ray

Stephen July 26, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Now that is some truly solid advice :-) Ice with power poses: Fat burning, cortisol lowering and testosterone boosting fun!!!!

- Stephen

Brandon August 15, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Question: Is this method better than getting a straight up testosterone booster supplement (like Mike Mahler’s Aggressive Strength test booster?)

Stephen August 15, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I am unaware of the research backing the ingredients of Mike Mahler’s testosterone protocol. Here is data from the natural medicines database regarding the ingredients in this supplement including efficacy based on studies. I hope this helps.

1. Stinging Nettle Extract (Urtica dioica)(root)

People Use This For:
Orally, stinging nettle root is used for urination disorders associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), including nocturia, frequency, dysuria, urinary retention, and irritable bladder. Stinging nettle root is also used orally for joint ailments, as a diuretic, and an astringent.
Orally, stinging nettle above ground parts are used for allergies, allergic rhinitis, and musculoskeletal disease such as osteoarthritis. It is also used orally in conjunction with copious fluid intake in so-called “irrigation therapy” for urinary tract infections (UTI), urinary tract inflammation, and kidney stones (nephrolithiasis). People also use the above ground parts of stinging nettle for internal bleeding, including uterine bleeding, epistaxis, and melena; anemia; poor circulation; splenomegaly; diabetes and other endocrine disorders; gastric hyperacidity; biliary complaints; diarrhea and dysentery; asthma; pulmonary congestion; heart failure; rash and eczema; cancer; prevention of signs of aging; blood purification; wound healing; and as a general tonic.
Topically, stinging nettle above ground parts are used for musculoskeletal aches and pains, scalp seborrhea, oily hair, and hair loss (alopecia).
In foods, young stinging nettle leaves are eaten as a cooked vegetable.
In manufacturing, stinging nettle extract is used as an ingredient in hair and skin products.

Effectiveness:

INSUFFICIENT RELIABLE EVIDENCE to RATE
Allergic rhinitis (hayfever). There is preliminary evidence that stinging nettle above ground parts might improve symptoms of allergic rhinitis. Starting stinging nettle at the first sign of symptoms seems to provide subjective improvement (7035).
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). There is contradictory evidence about the effectiveness of stinging nettle for symptoms of BPH. Taking a combination product (PRO 160/120, Dr. Willmar Schwabe Pharmaceuticals, Germany) containing a specific extract of stinging nettle (WS 1031) 120 mg plus a specific extract of saw palmetto (WS 1473) 160 mg twice daily for 24-48 weeks seems to significantly improve urinary tract symptoms in men with BPH (15195,15551). This combination seems to be comparable to finasteride for relieving symptoms of BPH, and may be better tolerated (15551); however, it is not known if this benefit is due to stinging nettle, saw palmetto, or both ingredients. In another trial, an herbal product containing stinging nettle root extract 80 mg, saw palmetto lipoidal extract 106 mg, pumpkin seed oil extract 160 mg, lemon bioflavonoid extract 33 mg, and vitamin A (100% as beta-carotene) 190 IU taken three times daily for 6 months did not significantly improve symptoms of BPH (5093).
Osteoarthritis. There is evidence that oral or topical use of stinging nettle leaf extract might improve symptoms of pain in patients with osteoarthritis (1,6500). Some clinicians use stinging nettle leaf extract in combination with conventional nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or other analgesics. Evidence suggests that adding stinging nettle might allow for using lower analgesic doses in some patients (6500). Topically, stinging nettle leaf seems to improve pain and disability in patients with osteoarthritis of the thumb, according to preliminary research (12490).
More evidence is needed to rate stinging nettle for these uses.

2. ProLensis™ (Bulbine natalensis)

People Use This For:
Orally, bulbous buttercup is used for skin diseases, arthritis, gout, neuralgia, influenza, swine flu, and meningitis.

Effectiveness:
There is insufficient reliable information available about the effectiveness of bulbous buttercup.

3. Mucuna pruriens Extract (Velvet Bean) (seed)

People Use This For:
Orally, cowhage is used for Parkinson’s disease, anxiety, arthritis, hyperprolactinemia, and for parasitic infections. It’s also used as an analgesic for pain, for fever, to induce vomiting, and as an aphrodisiac. Cowhage is also used prophylactically as snakebite remedy.
Topically, cowhage is used as a rubefacient or counterirritant for rheumatic conditions, myalgias, to stimulate cutaneous blood flow in paralytic conditions, and to treat scorpion stings.

Effectiveness:
INSUFFICIENT RELIABLE EVIDENCE to RATE
Hyperprolactinemia. There is some evidence that cowhage might be useful for chlorpromazine-induced hyperprolactinemia in men (7207), but it does not appear to be effective for hyperprolactinemia of unknown cause in women (7206).
Parkinson’s disease. There is preliminary evidence that some cowhage preparations might help improve symptoms of Parkinson’s disease when used in combination with conventional drugs such as amantadine, selegiline, and anticholinergic agents. Cowhage contains 3-6% levodopa (L-dopa). Specific cowhage extracts standardized to 3.3% L-dopa (HP-200) and other powdered formulations providing 75 to 220 mg per day of L-dopa are being used for patients with Parkinson’s (6899,7020,7203). There is also evidence that taking a single dose of 30 grams of powder preparation containing 1000 mg L-dopa has a quicker onset of action, longer duration of action, and provides higher drug levels compared to 200 mg of conventional levodopa in combination with carbidopa (12232).
More evidence is needed to rate cowhage for these uses.

Mo July 6, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Is there any proof this regimen works?. Any real world feedback from anyone who has tried it?.

Is there a substitute for the Icebaths/Cold showers?. Don’t really like them. How important are they to overall results?, ie can you get most of the testosterone increase with the Cod/butter supplements and Brazil nuts?.

Thanks,

Stephen July 8, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Hi Mo,

I wish I could give you solid numbers, but I have no “proof” that this protocol works. I have recommended this to several of my patients but without any real controls the data would be merely speculative at best.

That being said, I have found Tim to be pretty accurate on most things and the regimen itself is simple enough that I think it warrants a trial. It is also a much better option than hormone supplementation or replacement in my humble opinion.

You can (and should) have a free testosterone level drawn before implementing the protocol and then again after several months. This will provide you with valuable insights.

The ice baths are crazy in my opinion and I wouldn’t do them even if you paid me :-) But they are for some people, and I have heard of people having great results at least from a weight loss perspective.

Give the Cod liver/butter supplements and Brazil nuts a try and see what you come up with it certainly won’t hurt and may offer real benefit. You will have to come back and share your results with us later on.

- Stephen

sean kazab July 7, 2014 at 4:01 pm

why is it important to take the butter alongside the cod liver oil, can you just use another high fat oil

Stephen July 11, 2014 at 6:35 pm

You can read about this more in a blog post I wrote about high vitamin butter oil here: http://www.4hourlife.com/2012/01/02/high-vitamin-butter-oil-cod-liver-oil-testosterone-and-beyond/

The answer to your question is basically yes, but it needs to be a “good quality butter”. Westen Price said: “Your diet should include sources of vitamin K, such as good quality butter from grass-fed cows and/or high-vitamin butter oil, fat from grass-fed animals, cheeses from grass-fed animals and duck or goose liver” along with cod liver oil.

So, basically any quality source of vitamin K is just fine along with the cod liver oil.

Here is a quick summary of butter oil and “The X Factor” from my post:

The “X” Factor: Butter Oil and Vitamin K

Dr. Weston A. Price discovered High Vitamin Butter Oil in the 1930′s

Cod liver oil along with high-vitamin butter oil, extracted by centrifuge from good quality spring or fall butter is superior to cod liver oil alone.

The butter oil contains what Dr. Price called Activator X, now considered to be vitamin K2, which works synergistically with vitamins A and D. Your diet should include sources of vitamin K, such as good quality butter from grass-fed cows and/or high-vitamin butter oil, fat from grass-fed animals, cheeses from grass-fed animals and duck or goose liver, along with cod liver oil.

Of course you can take this in supplement form.

A growing body of published research confirms that vitamin K2 is important for the utilization of minerals, protects against tooth decay, supports growth and development, is involved in normal reproduction, protects against calcification of the arteries leading to heart disease, and is a major component of the brain.

Vitamin K2 works synergistically with the two other fat-soluble activators: vitamins A and D.

Hope this helps,

Zach July 8, 2014 at 5:59 am

I never saw this question answered; I to am curious about this one. “I have a question , in the book he says you can substitute the Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend with Carlson Super 1000 mg Cod Liver Oil and take it the same time with the Kerry Gold Irish Butter. My question is if we go this route do we still take 2 capsules in the morning/evening of the Carlson Cod liver oil as we would do with the Blue Ice Brand? And how much of the butter do we take with it?”

Stephen July 11, 2014 at 7:07 pm

There is no hard and fast rule here. the Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil/Fermented Cod liver Oil blend is considered a whole food… in essence it is like “dosing” broccoli. In fact, many have reported “results equivalent to those obtained from high-vitamin cod liver oil with half the recommended dose.” The unique healing capacity of fermented cod liver oil reaches far beyond any neat percentiles and statistics typed onto a label.

FCLO expert and Green Pasture founder Dave Wetzel recently removed specific nutrient analysis and dose recommendations from his cod liver oil labels altogether, stating “our products are more like natural foods than drugs. People take all sorts of different amounts and combinations for a variety of reasons.”

But lets look at the numbers:

Here is info on Green Pastures from Chris Kresser’s blog:

Green Pastures Fermented Cod Liver Oil and Butter Oil Blend (GP FCLO)

Ingredients: about 270 mg omega-3 (about 139 mg EPA, 83 mg DHA), about 1,100 IU vitamin D, about 2,300 IU vitamin A. Values listed are approximate (see disadvantages).

Price: $47.00 for 120 capsules, 2 capsules per serving. $0.78/serving.

Advantages: a whole-food product in its natural form, rather than a supplement. Is relatively low in EPA & DHA compared to other products, but contains high levels of vitamin D, as well as vitamins A & K. The fat soluble vitamins A, D & K2 are important co-factors and likely improve the absorption and assimilation of EPA & DHA. Addition of grass-fed butter oil increases levels of K2. Cold-processed with fermentation, which means this is the least oxidized product available.

Disadvantages: levels of PCBs are posted on Green Pastures’ website, but I’ve been unable to obtain information on heavy metals or dioxins. The EPA and DHA levels are what would be expected in a whole food product, but may not be high enough for a significant anti-inflammatory effect. Values for vitamins A, D, EPA and DHA are approximate and vary batch to batch due to fermentation processing method. Peroxide values are not provided, but because it is processed without heat they are likely to be very low.

Notes: because fermented cod liver oil contains vitamins A, D and K2 in addition to EPA and DHA, and because most people are deficient in some or all of these nutrients, this is currently the only product I recommend to everyone – patients, family and friends – regardless of their health status.

Here is what I found on the Carlson brand:

Carlson COD LIVER OIL GEMS SUPER 1000 MG

Ingredients: about 180 mg omega-3 (about 80 mg EPA, 100 mg DHA), about 400 IU vitamin D, about 2000 IU vitamin A.

Price: $38.00 for 250 capsules

Kerry Gold Irish Butter has an unknown amount of Vitamin K: I found this from Chris Masterjohn: “After analyzing over 20,000 samples of butter sent to him from around the world, however, Price found that the [vitamin K2] concentration varied 50-fold…” at the end of that article there is a table, with citations, listing the type and source of K2 in various foods. It shows butter as 15 mcg/100g.

——————

We could go into infinite more detail here… But as you can see from the numbers, if you want to come close to Tim’s protocol you would do just fine by substituting the Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend with Carlson Super 1000 mg Cod Liver Oil and take it at the same time with the Kerry Gold Irish Butter. How much butter should you take? I don’t think there I can answer that one for you… But you probably don’t need a whole lot.

I hope this helps,