Four Hour Body Sleep Hacks:
- Taking 200 micrograms (mcg) of huperzine-A 30 minutes before bed: can increase total REM by 20-30%. Tim uses this for the first few weeks of language acquisition and no more than three days per week to avoid side effects. (side effects = Insomnia as well as many others) take home note: use at your own risk!
- Don’t drink more than two glass of wine within four hours of sleep: More than two glasses of wine within four hours of sleep decreases deep wave sleep by 20-50%.
- Taking 15+ drops of California Poppy extract: increases deep wave sleep up to 20%
- Eat two tablespoons of organic almond butter on celery sticks before bed: this will help you avoid low blood sugar over night. Make a pre-bed snack part of your nutrition program.
- One to two tablespoons of flaxseed oil (120-240 calories) can be used in combination with the celery and almond butter to further help.
Getting to Sleep:
Test 67 -70 degrees as your bedroom temperature:
- using 65 degrees as your low point and never going above 70. If you can’t control ambient temperature use socks of different thicknesses to tweak heat loss.
Eat a large Fat and Protein Dominated meal within 3 hours of bed time:
- Consumed within 3 hours of getting to sleep at least 800 milligrams of cholesterol (four or more large whole eggs) and 40 grams of protein. Tim recommends eating two 3/4 of a pound rib eye steaks 3 hours before bed. This sounds a bit excessive.
Use of light cues The Phillips Go-lite:
- Used as a replacement for coffee first thing in the morning. 15 minutes pointing about 30 degrees off center angle.
Incorporate Iso-Lateral resistance training (one arm or one leg):
- Do a single session of Tim’s Pre-Hab Testing from the “Pre-Hab” chapter in the Four Hour Body. Following is a quick breakdown of the four exercises and recommendations:
- Chop down to left knee x 6-12 reps
- lift up to the right knee 6-12 reps
- 5 TGU one side (16-kg kettlebell)
- 5 TGU one side (24-kg kettlebell)
- 5 reps single side
- 10 reps
Take a cold bath one hour prior to bed:
- put two to three bags of ice from the convenience store into a half full bathtub until the ice is about 80% melted.
Use an Ultrasonic Humidifier:
Use a Nightwave Pulse Light
- Can be used as a supplement to the Philips goLite
4 hour life quick and dirty tips
30 minutes before sleep:
Taking 15+ drops of California Poppy extract
One to two tablespoons of flaxseed oil
While Laying Down to bed:
Use a Nightwave Pulse Light
In the Morning:
Use of light cues – The Phillips Go-lite
Or as a PDF: Perfecting Sleep Cheat Sheet PDF
View all posts in this series
- Organizing the Four Hour Body: Occam’s Protocol Cheat Sheet Number 1
- The Four Hour Body Fat Loss Cheat Sheet
- Damage Control and the 4-Hour Body Slow Carb Diet Binge Day Cheat Sheet
- Adventures in Tripling Testosterone: The Four Hour Body Sex Machine: Protocol’s Simplified
- How to get 8 Hours of sleep in just Four Hours!
- A Wonderful 4-Hour Body Cheat Sheet: Simple and Comprehensive!
- Why your Doctor wants you to buy the 4 Hour Body and the 4 Hour Workweek but doesn’t know it yet.
- Occam’s Protocol Step by Step plus a New and Improved Cheat Sheet
- Having Trouble with Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman? You need the 4 Hour Body Google Calendar!
- Occam’s Protocol Essential’s Toolkit Part Un: Keeping Time!
- The 4 Hour Body + The 4 Hour Workweek = The Evolution of A Superhuman
- The 4 Hour Body Vitamins & Supplements: A Comprehensive Evidence Based Review
- A Better Occam’s Protocol: Body by Science Meets the 4 Hour Body
- Tim Ferriss Slow Carb Diet: Simple Condensed Patient Handouts & Guides
- Tim Ferriss Prison Day 2: Convict Conditioning – Squats Cheat Sheet
- Tim Ferriss Prison Day 3: Convict Conditioning – Pull-Up Cheat Sheet
- Choosing Lean Meats, Seafood and Shellfish on The 4 Hour Body Diet
- The Slow Carb Diet Reloaded: Better Fat Loss Through Simplicity 2015 Edition
- The 4 Hour Chef: Positive Contstraints and the Holy Grail of “The One-Pager”
- The Ultimate Slow Carb Supplement One-Pager With Cheat Day Requirements