Occam’s Protocol Essential’s Toolkit Part Un: Keeping Time!

In Occam’s Protocol counting five up and five down is like patting your head and rubbing your belly!

A brief review from the book:

The exercises should be performed for one set each and no more. The objective is to fail, to reach the point where you can no longer move the weight, at seven or more repetitions at a 5/5 cadence (five seconds up and five seconds down).

Ferriss, Timothy (2010). The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman Occam’s Protocol Essential’s Toolkit Part Un: Keeping Time!

Nine sessions and 60 days into Occam’s Protocol and I will say this: I am never looking back. The routine fits perfectly into my schedule.

The Only Problem:

I find it impossible to lift and keep count of my reps while trying to maintain a decent 5/5 cadence. Probably the biggest mistake I see people make when they begin Occam’s Protocol is with the timing.

The harder the workout becomes the more likely one is to speed up their cadence and also to take long pauses. This will reduce your total time under tension and in my experience leads to much less post workout muscle fatigue.

The Solution:

A human metronome to count you through your Occam’s Protocol workout routine. Or at least one that you can load onto your IPod.

Occam’s Protocol Keeping Time: Who Ever Thought Counting Could Be This Much Fun?

Here are 6 songs and one solo recording counting at a 5/5 cadence to help guide you through your lifting portion of Occam’s Protocol!

Here is a Sample (with music):

Here is a Sample (without music):

Solo
No Music
AC/DC
T.Struck
Kayne West StrongerFort MinorMoby
Flower
Muse
Uprising
tiny Occam’s Protocol Essential’s Toolkit Part Un: Keeping Time! Occam’s Protocol Essential’s Toolkit Part Un: Keeping Time! Occam’s Protocol Essential’s Toolkit Part Un: Keeping Time! Occam’s Protocol Essential’s Toolkit Part Un: Keeping Time! Occam’s Protocol Essential’s Toolkit Part Un: Keeping Time! Occam’s Protocol Essential’s Toolkit Part Un: Keeping Time!
DownloadDownloadDownloadDownloadDownloadDownload
mp3mp3mp3mp3mp3mp3
The Entire Collection
tiny1 Occam’s Protocol Essential’s Toolkit Part Un: Keeping Time!
Download Zip (24mb)

Stay tuned Part Deux is coming shortly!

If you would like to request a particular song please let me know below in the comments section. Personally, my favorite is AC/DC it just seems to get my Occam’s a Protocolling!

The first person to comment with a song request and get 5 people to re-tweet this post will get their song beautifully layered over my 5/5 count and available for download on the web site. What more could anybody want?

You can sign up to receive updates via RSS or email or join us on Facebook

Related Articles:

View all posts in this series

Arjan Salomons July 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Hey Stephen,

at first I thought you were going to recommend a stopwatch of some sort, linking it to music is a great twist! Probably will not get Thunderstruck out of my mind now, thanks for the tip!

Stephen July 12, 2011 at 8:10 am

No kidding! In fact that is the only problem I have had when using the music with the counting, I tend to get lost in the music and forget about the counting. This of course tends to happen much more commonly around rep 8 or 9! Thanks for the input and good luck to you.

RT Wolf December 12, 2011 at 11:15 am

I googled and found this. Thanks! I was gonna count “1, 1000″ in my head, but instead of going to “5, 1000″ and stopping, I was gonna continue. and just take the number I get to and divide by 5 to get to reps.

Thought this might help someone else.

Cheers!

Stephen December 12, 2011 at 12:59 pm

That does make a lot of sense. I have tried using the “human metronome” method above and have had some difficulties keeping pace. Once you get behind and off time it is difficult to get back on track as well…. I like your idea.

I have a guitar metronome on my iPhone that I think may actually work better. Just following the beats would allow one to focus on the weights and not get so caught up in the counting.

Steve

RT Wolf December 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Just tried this yesterday. Math was wrong, have to divide by 10 to get one rep (5 count down, 5 count up). I was excited because I thought I repped 16 and got all embarrassed when I realized I repped 8. :p

Quick question: Last week I started the protocol without any weight lifting experience/conditioning and the muscles I worked out were sore for about 4 days. This week, they’re tired but not sore. Does that mean I didn’t go to failure hard enough, or was I just sore last week cause I was just starting? That is, after your workout, do your muscles feel fineish by the next day? I guess I’ll know next week for sure if I experience enough strength gain, but just curious what your experience was.

Thanks!

Stephen December 14, 2011 at 1:21 pm

You were sore last week because you were just starting. You will most likely not experience the same soreness again unless you modify your routine and pick up a new workout that trains different muscles or the same muscles in a different way. I know it is a good feeling that first workout, the pain makes you feel like you really accomplished something. Just make sure you focus on those slow reps and resist the urge to train more than is recommended in the book. Believe it or not 20 minutes of gym time really is enough!

Best of luck,

RT Wolf December 17, 2011 at 9:46 am

You’re so right about resisting the urge to train. I didn’t think I’d even have an urge to train more but I keep wanting to go back to the gym. Especially since it’s not a super painful experience when I do go.

I’ve been thinking of adding some sort of non-weight training exercise on off-days. Swimming ok? Won’t set me back? Thanks!

Stephen December 17, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Absolutely. I think swimming may quite possibly be one of the best (if not the best) cross training exercise. I usually swim, bike, run, surf, hit tennis balls or whatever else sounds good on my non weight days. I think it is essential to cross train. It will provide balance to your workout, not to mention it is good for the mind as well as the body!

You will find that once you are cross training your urge to do more gym time will go away. In fact that is why the protocol works so well. It allows you to break out of the habit of just pushing weights because it seems like the right thing to do.

So go get some new swim goggles and get to work!

Cheers!