High Vitamin Butter Oil + Cod Liver Oil: Testosterone and Beyond!

In the 4-Hour Body Tim has two protocols that include High Vitamin Butter Oil.  He uses this in combination with fermented Cod Liver Oil within his protocol for boosting testosterone.

Let’s review really fast:

Abbreviated Tippling Testosterone Protocol – 4 Hour Body

Protocol #1: Long-Term and Sustained

Protocol #2: Short-Term and Fun “Nitro Boost”

Four Hours Prior to Sex:

At first glance this sounds both extremely strange and to most casual observers: GROSS! Really, even if your testosterone is “boosted” who in their right mind is going to sleep with you after ingesting this combo?

The truth of the matter is that it is not as bad as it sounds and beyond its testosterone boosting potential this combination of butter oil and cod liver oil has so many beneficial healthy side effects it is one to consider continuing long term. Only one caveat: I would not recommend this beyond one month if you are not having your Vitamin D levels monitored.

Today I am going to talk more about the combo and try to answer a question I found myself asking:

WHY THE BUTTER OIL?

I am also going to use this opportunity to take a better look at the benefits of Cod Liver Oil and why this combo may be superior to fish oil alone.

Why Cod Liver Oil vs. Standard Fish Oil Tabs?

Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil   Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend1 High Vitamin Butter Oil + Cod Liver Oil: Testosterone and Beyond!Once a standard supplement in traditional European societies, cod liver oil provides fat-soluble vitamins A and D, which was present in the diet of primitives in amounts ten times higher than in modernized diets.

Also, just like fish oil tabs cod liver oil is extremely rich in eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docasahexaenoic acid (DHA).

The body makes these fatty acids from omega-3 linoleic acid. There is no escaping the huge body of evidence proving the benefits of increasing Omega 3’s in your diet.

The best fish oil supplements are made from the oil from the body of the fish and should be molecularly distilled so they do not contain contaminants. This means they would not naturally contain vitamin D or Vitamin A.

• Cod liver oil contains more vitamin A and more vitamin D per unit weight than any other common food.
  • Cod liver oil provides vitamin D that helps build strong bones in children and helps prevent osteoporosis in adults.
  • Cod liver oil contains 7 percent each of the elongated omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA.
  • Heart attack deaths increased during periods when the vitamin A content of the diet was low. Cod liver oil can provide vitamin A on a continuous basis throughout the year.
  • Cod liver oil greatly improves heart function to prevent heart disease and to treat it even in advanced stages, after a heart attack and after heart surgery. Cod liver oil alters the linings of the arteries in such a way as to improve healing after damage. This is attributed to the omega-3 fatty acids but vitamin A, D and K all have important roles to play in facilitating mineral absorption, improving muscle function and supporting elasticity of the blood vessels.
  • Many of the conditions addressed by cod liver oil are considered related under the title Syndrome X. These include obesity, hypertension, insulin resistance, adult onset diabetes and stroke. Evidence is accumulating that these diseases of civilization are the result of high levels of omega-6 fatty acids and low levels of omega-3 fatty acids along with deficiencies of fat-soluble vitamins. We may be paying a very high price for our rejection of parental wisdom to take our cod liver oil.
  • Pregnant women using cod liver oil have infants with a lower risk for juvenile type 1 diabetes.
  • As for treating diabetes in adults, cod liver oil has been used in a number of trials with both insulin-dependent and non-insulin-dependent diabetes. In both conditions cod liver oil improved glucose response and other markers of the disease.Vitamin A in cod liver oil helps promote healing and protects the retina, both problem areas in the diabetic patient.
  • Cod liver oil has lowered blood pressure induced by stress-elevated levels of cortisol.
  • Colitis responds more effectively to the type of omega-3 fatty acids in cod liver oil than to medication.
  • Topically applied, cod liver oil contributes to faster wound healing and improvement in skin quality.
  • And what about cancer? All the nutrients in cod liver oil help prevent cancer. Vitamin A has been part of every successful alternative cancer therapy so far. In a study in China, use of cod liver oil was found to be protective against childhood leukemia.In a study of Norwegian men and women, consumption of cod liver oil was found to protect against lung cancer.

The “X” Factor: Butter Oil and Vitamin K

Dr. Weston A. Price discovered High Vitamin Butter Oil in the 1930′s

Cod liver oil along with high-vitamin butter oil, extracted by centrifuge from good quality spring or fall butter is superior to cod liver oil alone.

The butter oil contains what Dr. Price called Activator X, now considered to be vitamin K2, which works synergistically with vitamins A and D. Your diet should include sources of vitamin K, such as good quality butter from grass-fed cows and/or high-vitamin butter oil, fat from grass-fed animals, cheeses from grass-fed animals and duck or goose liver, along with cod liver oil.

Of course you can take this in supplement form.

A growing body of published research confirms that vitamin K2 is important for the utilization of minerals, protects against tooth decay, supports growth and development, is involved in normal reproduction, protects against calcification of the arteries leading to heart disease, and is a major component of the brain.

Vitamin K2 works synergistically with the two other fat-soluble activators: vitamins A and D.

More about Vitamin A, D & Cod Liver Oil

Most brands of cod liver oil go through a process that removes all of the natural vitamins. The resultant product contains very low levels of vitamin A and virtually no vitamin D. Some manufacturers add manufactured vitamins A and D to the purified cod liver oil.

Fortunately, in the U.S. we have naturally produced, unheated, fermented high-vitamin cod liver oil that is made using a filtering process that retains the natural vitamins.

High-vitamin fermented cod liver oil is sold as a food and often does not contain vitamin levels on the label which can make it frustrating when trying to determine the amount to take. However, after numerous tests, the approximate values of A and D have been ascertained at 1900 IU vitamin A per mL and 390 IU vitamin D per mL.

Thus 1 teaspoon (5 mL.) of high-vitamin fermented cod liver oil contains 9500 IU vitamin A and 1950 IU vitamin D, a ratio of about 5:1.

Based on these values, the dosage for the high-vitamin fermented cod liver oil is provided as follows:

• Children age 3 months to 12 years: 1/2 teaspoon or 2.5 mL, providing 4650 IU vitamin A and 975 IU vitamin D.
  • Children over 12 years and adults: 1 teaspoon or 10 capsules, providing 9500 IU vitamin A and 1950 IU vitamin D.
  • Pregnant and nursing women: 2 teaspoon or 20 capsules, providing 19,000 IU vitamin A and 3900 IU vitamin D.

OK Now What?

Hopefully after reading this blog post a couple of things have happened:

• If someone asks you why you take butter oil with your high vitamin cod liver oil: You can impress them and tell them it is because it contains Vitamin K2 which works synergistically with the two other fat-soluble activators: Vitamins A and D.
  • You have been convinced that Cod Liver Oil may have some real benefits over just OTC fish oil tabs which are consumed by the masses.
  • You see this combo as not just as a way to boost testosterone although it is definitely going to help with that as well.

Considered by many to be very best and probably the easiest to take:

Product Description (click below to view)

Product Description thumb High Vitamin Butter Oil + Cod Liver Oil: Testosterone and Beyond!

References:

Almost all of this blog post was adapted from info by the Weston A. Price Foundation. If you want more info on this topic (and there is a lot more trust me) I would direct you to their amazingly informative website

Justin January 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm
Stephen January 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Maybe this is why I have had less cavities over the last several years.

Plus tooth decay = halitosis which is just another reason why boosting your testosterone with fish oil may help you find a lifelong partner :)

Justin, you seem to know a bit about everything my friend… I am always impressed!
Thanks again for the links I know people really appreciate them.

Also, I noticed when I was in Peru and we were hiking in the Andes the locals (although they did not have great looking teeth) were free from tooth decay. Funny thing is they started having horrible problems when tourists like myself would bring candies to pass out to the kids. That and it was usually only the elders who chewed the Cocca leaves, which also supposedly had some benefit.

Justin May 8, 2012 at 11:12 pm

This product is now available in Canada too. See http://www.fermentedcodliveroil.ca

Ben January 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Stephen, in regards to why we should use COD liver oil over regular fish oil (usually mackeral, tuna, sardine), you mention only that Cod Liver Oil has Vitamin D and A. If we are to follow Tim’s protocol, we are already taking massive amounts of Vitamin D. Cod oil is much more expensive than fish oil. Why would we need to pay much this much more just to get a vitamin we are already regularly imbibing?

Stephen January 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm

You are right Ben…. Tim’s protocol uses Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend – Capsules as a way to boost Testosterone. This protocol would have sufficient vitamin D.

I kind of went off topic here on this blog post now that I am looking back at it.

I am definitely not saying that you should take another cod liver oil supplement in conjunction with Tim’s protocol. Although if you weren’t using Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend it would definitely be worth considering taking Cod liver oil as your source of Omega 3 as it is a good source of Vitamin D and A as well as EPA and DHA.

Ben January 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

Thanks for the reply Stephen! I’m still a little confused as to what you mean by Tim’s protocol. As you state above under Protocol #1, Tim’s protocol consists of taking the cod liver oil AS WELL AS 3000-5000 IU of Vitamin D. Are you recommending that it is only necessary to take one or the other? Thanks!

Stephen January 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Nope, I think we are both confusing each other, although it seems (not surprisingly) that I have just been confusing myself here :) Sorry about this.

I see now what you were asking.. why can’t we just use good old regular fish oil tabs instead of Cod Liver Oil Blend which is so expensive.

The truth is you probably could just buy regular fish oil tabs. And to be honest it would be really interesting to do a side by side comparison by measuring before and after total testosterone levels. Plus, as you have eluded to, it would save you a lot of money!

Ben January 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Stephen, thanks for the response! Right now I bought some Cod Liver Oil without the Butter blended, which is a lot more cost effective at least. We’ll see how it goes.

kevin January 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Wow! Thanks for sharing this protocol for increasing testosterone levels. I wasn’t aware that this specific combination of ingredients could help cause a short-term increase in test levels. As long-term bodybuilder, I’m always on the lookout for natural ways to boost testosterone and growth hormone levels without resorting to illegal drugs or chemicals that may cause irreversible side effects. Will definitely need to try out this regimen and see how it works. I’ll keep you posted on my results!

Peter January 26, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Are there any estimates of how much A, D, and K2 is in each capsule of the Blue Ice Royal butter oil/FCLO?

Stephen January 27, 2012 at 8:56 am

This is in fact a great question. As you probably know the answer is not available on their website or the product labeling.

I have contacted the company’s sales office and they will be hopefully getting back to me soon with your answer. I have let them know as well that this really should be available on their web site and the labeling.

Anyway, I will write you as soon as I get a response from the company.

Stephen January 31, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Hey Peter,

I wanted to let you know that I received a response back from green pastures. I posted it on the blog in the comments section.

Sabine January 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm

That was my question as well. The label of the Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil does not specifically mention this.

Stephen January 31, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Here was the response I received from Green Pastures:

Stephen,

We do have some test date on our website that you may find helpful in determining estimated values. See: http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Products/TestData/index.cfm
In nature, there are 160 different types of A, 957 types of the D hormone complex and 15-20 known types of K (a quinone). We do not add man made molecular structures in known quantities for labeling purposes as other food, supplement and drug manufacturers do. Other manufacturers that are able to state the precise amount of these metabolites are using synthetic vitamins to do so. They know which metabolite they have added, so they in turn know which ones to test for. Due to the complexity of our naturally fermented food products, we are unable to test each molecular structure.

The products we sell are considered foods and will contain a broad spectrum of nutrients and vitamin metabolites as found in nature. Economically, it would not be feasible for us to test for each one, for each product and for each batch; even if we knew what we were looking for. Additionally, laboratories have varying opinions on the different forms that should be measured. And to date, we have not found any continuity or consistency from lab to lab. We believe that limiting the value of our products to any one molecule structure is not appropriate, because we do not fully understand how these different structures interact with each other.

Peter Beck February 1, 2012 at 7:44 am

Perfect, many thanks, even the approximation helps ballpark it!

Dan August 21, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Hey,

You recommended not doing this over a month if you aren’t getting your vitamin d levels checked. Is there a smaller dose that would be better longer term? I’ve read that vitamin d toxicity is extremely rare and usually is something ridic like 40000 ius per day for several months, but I’m curious what the minimum effective dose of vitamin d would be for you to still get the large testosterone boost while still remaining safe long term.

(Note: I’m not tryin this for a few weeks at least, but I’ve been wanting to try it for a while.)

Thanks!

Stephen August 21, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Unfortunately Dan there really is no scientific answer to your question and this depends a lot on the person and their environment.

I have had patients reach serum levels well above 100 nmol/L on a dose as small as 5,000 IU per day and others barely break serum levels of 25 nmol/L on doses as high as 10,000 IU. I was taking 5,000 IU for about 6 months and maintained serum levels of 75 nmol/L , and now am taking 2,000 IU. I have never done a cross comparison of Serum vitamin D and free or total Testosterone but it would be interesting.

I would recommend getting a baseline vitamin D level, take 1,000 IU for every 10 nmol/L you want to increase. Check again in 1-2 months and maintain a serum Vitamin D of less than 125 nmol/L. Independent of your testosterone levels!

Dave December 3, 2013 at 12:48 pm

In an effort to save $, I’m going to try the separate Cod Liver Oil capsules, & Kerrigold Irish Butter–my questions are: how many capsules should I take at a time, am & pm? Also, how much butter? And how would I take the butter? I find the idea of just putting a spoonful of butter in my mouth totally unappealing. And if I have to eat a lot of it throughout the course of a month, would I really be saving money, or would the cost of the butter & cod liver oil capsules end up costing more than the Blue Ice Butter/cod liver oil blend???
Thanks for any advice/input!
Dave.

Stephen February 7, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Hey Dave,

Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, I must have missed your comment the first time around. I would suggest sticking with the Blue Ice Butter / Cod Liver Oil Blend if not only for simplicity. There are many different opinions on when the best time to take a fish oil supplement is. Some sources say they are better absorbed with fat containing breakfast, but I am not so sure I believe this to be true. I prefer taking them at night because with a cup of coffee I always end up with the fish oil “burps”. If you are looking to boost testosterone you would dose 2 in the morning and 2 at night. If you are just in it for better health 2 at night may be just fine. For those with high triglycerides and low HDL cholesterol I usually recommend 4 tablets per day. But both the low HDL and high Trig. usually resolve with the slow carb diet so this is usually only necessary for a short period of time. If you do go the Kierrigold Irish Butter route I would say eat it with a small carbohydrate snack such as a small amount of whole wheat toast with the butter and eggs. Just like you I cannot stomach this butter on the “spoon” and a small amount of carbohydrate as a vehicle for the butter wouldn’t kill you, but it depends on your goals and if you are using the slow carb diet or not. It also depends on your activity levels prior to your breakfast. If you are somebody who goes for a 5 mile morning run, this after workout snack may be just what the doctor ordered.

Dave February 16, 2014 at 11:14 am

Thanks for the reply, Stephen! Just the information I was looking for!

Lizbeth Carter April 7, 2014 at 7:37 am

This was the first product of theirs I purchased when I decided to go natural for my cavity that I had. I wasn’t sure if it would actually work taking in certain items, rather than going to get a filling. But after 6 weeks of being on this, my cavity left. Completely gone and filled in! Wonderful product. Way worth the cost.