The Ultimate 4 Hour Body Slow Carb Food Matrix

I have came across several versions of this on the internet but I wanted to build one that was a bit more complete. Inspired by Robb Wolf’s Paleo Solution Food Matrix and Brian Valentine’s interpretation of the 4 hour body matrix,  here is mine.

As always feel free to add, subtract or modify items as you see fit.  I have included a link to the original MS word document that you can edit and format to suit your needs. Just click “Like” to reveal the link and download the MS Word File.

Please Like it on Facebook to reveal the download link.

The 4 Hour Body Food Matrix

You can sign up to receive updates via RSS or email. If you like what you read join us on facebook!

Andy May 12, 2012 at 9:23 am

Hey! thanks very much for the matrix. It’ll help tons.

-Andy.

Stewart Hart May 12, 2012 at 11:17 am

I thought yams and sweet potatoes were off limits on the SCD.

Stephen May 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I agree with Robb and the paleo people on this one, so I have included it as an OK food on my version of the matrix. Although maybe I should specify with an asterisk as on the Paleo Solution food matrix:

*dense carbohydrate –eat in moderation until leanness goals are reached

Jason May 15, 2012 at 5:53 am

I started some research a while ago that I didn’t finish, but it involved testing blood sugar and stuff. Sweet potatoes and yams seemed to have the same effect that beans did, while grains raised my blood sugar higher and for longer periods of time. So I am with you, Stephen. :)

-j

Luke - Four Hour Body Couple May 15, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Hey Stephen,
This is a great resource!
May I suggest one minor addition to this page – to mention that this is your personal version of a 4 Hour Body Matrix. According to the originally published slow carb ‘rules’, there’s lots of things on your list that don’t fall under Tim’s original ‘slow carb’ diet. I could see some people relying on certain vegetables listed, or some of the higher fat meats and not getting the fat loss they’d like.

Cheers!
Luke

PS Bacon is listed twice, but I love it too, so I think you could leave it on there!

Kristie August 12, 2013 at 6:12 pm

How about turkey, turkey sausage?

Stephen August 12, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Yes Kristie, absolutely! Turkey and turkey sausage are A-OK… I should add them to the list.

Nancy November 18, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Can you have any kind of sausage? Like pork ??

Stephen November 18, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Hi Nancy,

Yes, any type of sausage is fine. Well, relatively speaking :-)

Michael May 29, 2014 at 11:30 am

Just wanted to see if Margaret Holmes Seasoned Cabbage was okay? Wasn’t sure what category of cabbage it fell under.

Stephen May 30, 2014 at 7:28 am

Yes, this should be fine with 7 grams of carbs and 4 coming from dietary fiber this is slow carb approved. You can see on the label that the 3′rd ingredient is sugar, but I truly doubt that this would have any real negative impact.

- Stephen

Michael June 4, 2014 at 11:31 am

Thank you! The sugar had me worried.

Mike May 30, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Can I eat corn on the cob, popcorn, or Lima beans? I have noticed that corn helps to stay regular and doesn’t seem to digest very well, so I didn’t know if it was an approved vegetable or not. Of course I realize it has sugars. And what about Lima beans? They are one of my favorites! Thanks!

Stephen June 5, 2014 at 10:56 am

Corn on the cob is a no, popcorn is a no and Lima beans are a yes!

- Stephen

Brian December 13, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Are you allowed to have salsa verde on slow carb? It says it is made with tomatillo but goes good on chicken breast. However it seems tomatillo is a giant berry. I bought Herdez Salsa Verde, it does say no sugar. Just curious.