Coconut Palm Sugar, Stevia and The 4 Hour Body Slow Carb Diet

Post image for Coconut Palm Sugar, Stevia and The 4 Hour Body Slow Carb Diet

OK, I need to be truly honest

I love sugar, this is my only “concern” (albeit a rather big one) when it comes to being a good slow carb dieter. Darn rule number one!

Yet this is essentially the main reason anyone goes on a slow carb diet: Eliminate the processed carbs, and decrease our insulin response.

This is of course the main goal. If you, like me, have some extra “gut” around the midline this is a sign you have an insulin problem. Why does the slow carb diet work so well? Because it helps to solve this problem.

Since beginning the slow carb diet I have been on a search for a natural, zero calorie sweetener that tastes great and doesn’t affect my blood sugars or promote an insulin response. I wrote a blog post a while back about Stevia (our new household favorite) and also about fructose, which interestingly was marketed originally to diabetics as a sugar alternative since it has a low glycemic index and does not cause an insulin response.

This week my wife started talking about Organic Coconut Palm Sugar after watching an episode of Dr. Oz promoting its many health benefits. Calling it the “best new sugar alternative”!

Enter confusion

In my research regarding Stevia I realized that rebaudioside A and stevioside, the common extracts of the Stevia plant used as the sweetener is actually highly processed. Also, many products such as Blue Sky Stevia Soda are made with Truvia (a product of the Coca Cola Company) which binds the ethyl alcohol Erythritol with the Stevia extract Rebiana.

Ethyl alcohol’s can cause bloating, diarrhea, and flatulence with initial consumption. They have a Glycemic index of around 7.

Most Stevia products sold these days also contain “fillers” or “bulking agents” a common one being dextrose (i.e glucose). Look at the back of the popular Stevia in the Raw which I have been using lately.. I was shocked!

This begs the question: is processed stevioside with added bulking agents truly all natural? And truly zero carb?

In search for the perfect sweetener

Is there such thing as a “perfect sweetener”? I wonder if it is like the quest for the silver bullet in cancer treatment. The problem is always the same: Chemotherapy and radiation may slow the progression of cancer in the short term, but it may kill you in the long term.

Can the same thing be said about all zero or low calorie sweeteners?

Coconut Palm Sugar:

To be honest I am suspicious of Coconut Palm Sugar. When I heard the GI was low I figured this was an indication that coconut palm sugar must be composed mostly of fructose. Its main component is actually sucrose (table sugar) which is a combo of fructose and glucose. What is confusing is that the GI of coconut palm sugar is supposed to be 35 while that of sucrose is 64. Could this indicate that palm sugar has a higher proportion of fructose than glucose?

According to one article the actual fructose in coconut palm sugar can range from 38% to 48.5%, compare that to High Fructose Corn Syrup which is 55%. Something here doesn’t make sense! I question the original studies done on organic palm sugar when calculating the GI.

Many a reference claim that palm sugar has a low GI because of its many vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Can this be true?

What is the GI of my beloved Stevia? Less than 1!

Stevia is still the Best Healthy Slow Carb Sugar Alternative! In my opinion…

stevia in the raw Coconut Palm Sugar, Stevia and The 4 Hour Body Slow Carb DietThough it is 200-300 times sweeter than table sugar, stevia is not a sugar. Unlike other popular sweeteners, it has a glycemic index rating of less than 1 and therefore does not feed candida (yeast) or cause any of the numerous other problems associated with sugar consumption. .

With every single episode of Dr. Oz I am further convinced that his show should be outlawed. Although he did give my man Tim Ferriss some face time, the fact that his diabetic diet continues to promote low fat high carb foods, he rolls his eyes at people like Gary Taubes and continues to push product such as coconut palm sugar as the healthy diabetic sugar “alternative”! Come on you are killing me!!!

This ends my Dr. Oz rant.

Anyway, bottom line: If you are looking for a good slow carb sugar substitute that may be the “silver bullet” of sweeteners I think Stevia is where it is at. I need to do a little more research on the refining, processing and extraction of stevioside as well as the use of added bulking agents.

Unfortunately, I just purchased a huge bag of Stevia in the Raw. I will finish this but afterwards I plan on switching to a pure stevia extract with no added bulking agents. This pure stevia extract powder by Kal looks interesting. I am not a big fan of the liquid extract but will probably experiment more to find one that I like.

I don’t personally see how Organic Coconut Palm Sugar can fit in with a slow carb diet.

Here are some great links:

Justin July 16, 2012 at 11:21 am

There a silver bullet for cancer already … ketosis.

Stephen July 16, 2012 at 11:36 am

Really Justin? I have heard of using ketosis to tx seizure disorder but never cancer that is interesting! Would like to know more about this.

I have been reading an interesting book as well about high dose ALA and naltrexone for the tx of various conditions including CA…. Specifically liver and pancreas.

Love your knew videos by the way!

Justin July 17, 2012 at 9:48 am

Cancer is anaerobic and need glucose to fuel itself. The links between chronic elevated insulin and cancer are huge. Warburg won a nobel prize for this discovery in 1924 this is not new info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warburg_hypothesis

PET scans for cancer actually measure glucose to detect cancer cells http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warburg_effect

Seem pretty obvious that this is more than just correlation, but medical community ignores it.

More info here http://robbwolf.com/2007/09/23/cancer-ketosis/
and here http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/seyfriedInterview.pdf

Some other stuff I have found here http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/749855

Another article on K2 deficiency and cancer http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/cmasterjohn/2010/01/08/cure-for-cancer-activator-x-may-be-the-missing-link/

A good article here http://www.westonaprice.org/cancer/a-holistic-approach-to-cancer

Mistletoe or Iscador is also used in Europe a lot in place of chemo.

jon January 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm

justin is correct. Fasting kills cancer. Think about it… ever seen someone fasting? They lose a pound of flesh a day. The cells need energy and so start breaking down even healthy fat and muscle. In this environment, cancer cells have nothing to eat, and in turn get eaten. In addition, many of the causes of the cancer are addressed as well, such as fungal/bacterial pathogens or impurities in the system.

So why isn’t fasting recommended as a cancer cure? Because you cannot make any money at all from telling people to fast. Sad but obvious truth.

Nupnupnup July 19, 2012 at 8:45 am

I would just use Xylitol instead – its not calorie free, but demonstrably safe and actually GOOD for your teeth (as opposed to just not being bad for them) and may have some other, less well established benefits.

My lactose free milk, whey, cacao powder, xylitol, olive oil shake for breakfast sure as hell is healthy and quite acceptable taste wise.

Stephen August 26, 2012 at 8:52 am

I think you have a good combo here. I have never really used Xylitol much but after reading your comment I think I will give it a more in-depth look, may make a good blog post. I am finding a lot of the fillers that make certain Stevia products taste acceptable to be a problem. And the drops I have are quite sour. Xylitol may be a better option.

Sharyl August 17, 2012 at 7:49 am

My brother suggested I might like this website.

He was entirely right. This post actually made my day.
You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this
info! Thanks!

Stephen August 26, 2012 at 8:35 am

Thanks Sharyl, that means a lot.

Alphonse September 1, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I feel this is one of the such a lot significant information for me.
And i am happy studying your article. However wanna
remark on few normal things, The website taste is perfect,
the articles is in point of fact great :
D. Good activity, cheers

Bonnie January 18, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Try Nunaturals Nustevia Pure Extract Powder. It can be ordered and researched on http://www.netrition.com. It is pure stevia, no fillers and therefore no aftertaste. It is super super sweet so you only need a very small amount and so it goes a long way.

Stephen January 19, 2013 at 12:24 am

Thank you Bonnie, I have been struggling to find the right Stevia product. I will definitely give this a try!

Bonnie January 19, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Your welcome! I just found it myself about 3 months ago after it was recommended in a book about eating low glycemically. Just make sure you get the one that says Nustevia Pure White Extract Powder as Nunaturals has a few Nustevia products that look very similar but are not the best thing. It isn’t cheap but lasts a really long time. I was able to find mine at a little local health store in the 1 ounce shaker bottle (which is the best way to use it) for like $12 or $13 and that ounce is probably not even half gone after 3 months. The only down side is that you can’t really sub it for sugar in recipes like cookies where the quantity of the sugar changes the texture or substance of the food. I use it in tea and coffee and to sweeten yogurt or berries or in some other desserts (homemade chocolate recipe, ricotta creme recipe etc) but it doesn’t work in everything. I am looking into the coconut sugar for that reason. For my cookies and things like cinnamon and sugar donuts. Good luck!

Janet June 13, 2014 at 6:32 am

People allergic to ragweed may be allergic to stevia as well as they are in the same plant family. If I eat stevia, I feel very unwell.