How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Up

This is a companion to my previous post.

The 30/30 Rule for Accelerated Fat Loss

Directions: Consume 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up!  Do not make any changes to your diet or exercise!

How to get 30 Grams of Protein in 10 minutes or less!

Some “Real” Food Options:

1. Liquid Egg Whites have roughly 26 grams of protein per cup.  Microwave (or cook) for 2.5 minutes in a Pyrex dish. Then microwave 150 grams of frozen spinach for 5 minutes to get another 6 grams of protein. Then add your favorite salsa. This makes for 32 grams of protein in less than 10 minutes.
  2. Canned Tuna + 1 or 2 eggs (or egg whites): Chuck it all in a pan with some mushrooms, cayenne pepper and Italian herbs and put it in the oven till it’s done.
  3. 3/4 cup of your favorite beans (8 grams protein) + White or Red Onions (chopped) + 3 eggs (18 grams protein) or liquid egg whites and salsa or Cholula

The Quick Fix (less than 3 minutes)

1. One Scoop Whey Protein Concentrate in milk (not slow carb) or in water. Add a handful of raw almonds if you like.
  2. One protein bar of choice or build your own.
  3. Ice + Coffee + Whey Protein Concentrate + ½ scoop egg protein powder (staying powder) + cinnamon (this video is even more complex) mixed in blender.
  4. Ready-made protein shakes. Pure protein or Myoplex are decent options (among many others).
  5. Ready-made zero carb 40 gram  protein drink. (light and not filling)

* P.S. You can make great smoothies with an immersion blender. They are simple to use and even easier to clean. My personal favorite is this lightweight and inexpensive Cuisinart Immersion Blender.  I use it almost daily and it has quickly become my favorite kitchen appliance.

30/30 Rule Quick Fix Protein Ideas

Quick Link to Products on Amazon (or click on the picture)

clip image003 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image005 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image007 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image009 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Up clip image011 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image013 thumb How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image015 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image017 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image019 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Up    clip image021 thumb How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Up    clip image023 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Up

clip image025 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image027 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image029 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image031 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Up

clip image033 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image035 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Upclip image037 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Up     clip image039 How to Get 30 Grams of Protein Within 30 Minutes of Waking Up

Protein Composition of Common Foods (To find a foods nutritional composition consult myfitnesspal

Justin November 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Hey Stephen,

Someone emailed me about this protein a while ago http://www.wellwisdom.com/proserum/

Grass fed and suppose to be the best.
They use it in the evolve bars http://shop.evolvefoods.com/product-p/snx-0072.htm
which I got to try and they are pretty good, but high in fruit/sugar/fructose, so only good for post workout.

Did you listen to the most recent Robb Wolf podcast about carb backloading and the carb nite book by Kiefer. Some really interesting stuff that contradicts the low GI theory especially for type 2 diabetes.

Kellie January 26, 2013 at 10:56 am

Greek yogurt is high in protein (18-20g per cup). Seems like it could be combined with seeds and nuts to make 30g for breakfast.

Stephen January 27, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I think you are absolutely right!

I didn’t include it here because I am sure I would hear many people complain that it breaks Tim’s rule to “avoid most milk products. Cottage cheese is an exception.

I personally think Greek Yogurt is a fine choice. It is quite low in carbs (half that of regular yogurt) and as you mentioned packed with protein.

Paula March 19, 2013 at 6:27 am

Hi, I have GERD and I have been fairly successful in managing it without meds on a Paleo diet. When I started the Paleo diet I felt great and started to lose weight. In the last few months the weight loss stopped and I’ve be,y isolate mixed with coconut milk. I started to lose weight again, but eventually I noticed I had mild stomach pain. I do not react to coconut milk so it must be the whey. Is there another brand of whey isolate that would not irritate my gut?

Stephen March 19, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Check out Vega One: http://myvega.com/products/vega-one-shake/features-benefits or for meal replacement, Matrix Meal: http://www.nulifeherbs.com/herbs-matrix.php

They both would probably be good options!

Joseph Gartner June 18, 2013 at 10:38 am

I make a big batch of these lentils on the weekend:

And put them atop my eggs. Lentils have good amounts of protein, plus the eggs makes for a tasty meal. The lentils are REALLY good, and you can make them extra spicey by adding jalapeno to the recipe.

Heather July 10, 2013 at 10:35 am

So my weight loss has stalled and I read to cut the processed stuff…so I stopped eating protein powder in water for breakfast. I am having a hard time stomaching eggs or beans. I really just don’t like them…or I have not found a way to like them yet. What do you suggest?

Stephen July 14, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Turkey bacon, chicken sausage, with avocado, tomato slices, Greek yogurt, dare I say 1/2 cup grapefruit or 1/2 cup fresh berries. I think these would be great options. And if you are going to have a shake I would highly advise against a morning shake. They may be good for an afternoon or evening snack. Very good post workout, but really shouldn’t be a meal replacement in my humble opinion. Also to make eggs better, try an omelet with onions and mushrooms if you haven’t already. Can go great with a little bit of the chicken sausage, or even steak and eggs.

ouspensky August 19, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I was one of those guys who always skipped breakfast. So on my SCD i am using a whey protein shake for the 30before30. It is a homemade mix pure whey+pure coco+pure stevia. I was thinking of adding black sesame to the mix so I can get some slow carbs in my “breakfast” as well. any advice on what proportion I should use relative to the protein? Related question, is it better to have my protein shake be a mix fo casien and whey rather than just pure whey?

Laila August 30, 2013 at 8:29 am

I’m a college student but really want to try this diet because I’m not big on carbs anyways, and dairy was easier to give up than I thought. I’m using a whey protein blend that’s 30 G protein, 7g carbs and 1 g sugar and mixing it in iced coffee in the mornings as my thirty g of protein upon waking because it’s hard for me to have time to do much else in thiry minutes. Is this a fine option or is the whey going to hurt my chances of weight loss? Also, I’m really bad with the snooze button, so I’ve just been using the term “wake up” as when I get out of bed and stop snoozing–does it have to be 30 minutes as my eyes open?

Stephen August 30, 2013 at 8:43 am

I have started to recommend against protein shakes for breakfast and as a meal replacement. The protein shake is best if used as a simple and convenient low glycemic snack to increase your meal frequency throughout your day. Also it is wonderful as a post-workout snack. When done like this I notice the best results. Here is an example of what I mean, using a 5 X per day meal plan:

6:00 am Wake-up
5:00 pm
6:00 pm
7:00 pm 7:00 pm Dinner
8:00 pm
9:00 pm
10:00 pm Bedtime

Here is a protein shake recipe I really like using rice protein powder:

1. Use 1 scoop of a low carbohydrate rice protein powder (carbs < 2 grams per serving)
Recommended brand
- Nutribiotic Rice Protein Powder (Chocolate or vanilla)
2. 6 – 8 ounces of unsweetened coconut or almond milk
Recommended brand
- So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Pacific Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk

I am a big fan of eggs for breakfast. along with some protein such as turkey bacon. If you have to go for a shake because of time then this may be your only option, but you may need to modify this depending on your results.

Oh yea… The 30 minute rule is a general guideline, not an exact science… so just try your best and that is fine.

Best,

Azariah April 19, 2014 at 1:27 pm

If this post is still active, I would love some assistance.

1) There is a lot of debate about protein shakes on 4 hour body convos and whey on the slow carb diet. Are there any one’s that are truly acceptable for the program? Also, we have been taking pure protein but I realized it is dairy. Is that still ok? I noticed you mentioned “most milk products” but I am at a loss to discern the difference.

2) 30 in 30: The CQ is supposed to be taken 30 minutes before a meal three times a day. Is this possible with breakfast since it has to be eaten in 30 minutes?
Does a shake count for breakfast? If not, I wonder if I can gulp it down the same time as CQ?

3) Are other diet supplements able to be taken with AGG and PAGG such as thermogenics? I was thinking of doing Adovcare’s 24 day Challenge with this diet.