Tim’s Fat Loss MED and The 30/30 Rule: Three Steps to Slow Carb Success

by Stephen

Post image for Tim’s Fat Loss MED and The 30/30 Rule: Three Steps to Slow Carb Success

When I first read the 4 hour body I casually overlooked Tim’s recommendation for accelerated fat loss which he now defines as the “Fat Loss MED”:

“Fat loss MED = consume 30 g of protein within 30 minutes of waking up. Dozens of readers have lost 100 + lbs each; thousands more have lost 10– 100 lbs.”

I have listened to many of the recent media appearances of Tim promoting the 4 Hour Chef and this seems to be his new tag line.  It fits with the idea of true behavioral change: Start with the least amount of change and you will have better compliance.

For  last year and a half I have been providing my patients with the  5 rules of the slow-carb diet. I have had some great successes but overall I would say it is in line with the 80/20 rule. Meaning 20 percent of my patients really roll with it and have excellent results, the other 80 percent I am afraid do not.

So I decided that I would simplify this  and see if I could make an 80/20 flip… My goal is to have 80 percent patient compliance by 2013.

Testing the claim – 3 Steps to Slow Carb Success

So this week I decided to test Tim’s claim and throw away the 5 rules of the slow carb diet as my first step in favor of the new fat loss MED.

Every patient that needs (and wants) to begin a weight loss (or insulin crushing) regimen is receiving one simple recommendation:

Take 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up. That is it. Don’t worry about any other part of your day, diet or routine. 30/30 and you will lose weight “I guarantee it!”

Step 1

I have created this patient handout/cheat sheet:

[scribd id=114906041 key=key-1ezi1o2xmq8axd30qwhy mode=scroll]

 


 

Step 2

The goal is to focus on the 30/30 rule  for 30-90 days (going case by case) and then begin to implement the five rules. I will give this out at the next visit only after they have successfully initiated the 30/30 rule.

[scribd id=66909223 key=key-2w2wpf9w4unxd83av90 mode=scroll]


 

Step 3

And then later provide a more comprehensive food matrix:

[scribd id=93335086 key=key-siwfnokyewx1mgqyho9 mode=scroll]

The Whole 30/30

Surprise, people love this idea!  After just one week of testing my theory I have been amazed by the initial enthusiasm:  “What that is all I have to do” Yep, I say, eat more protein and lose more weight. It is as simple as that!

I will start using my cheat sheet this next week. The holiday’s tend to be a great time to begin a weight loss/slow carb regimen. I like to tap into people’s motivation and get them thinking early about the new year.

I will present my results in a couple of months and let you know how people have done. If you are just starting I recommend giving this above progression a try. Like anything in life start low and go slow for the best results!

If you haven’t already make sure to check out The Ultimate 4-Hour Body Resource for an easy to follow protocol guide! Or more cheat sheets!

 


 

You can sign up to receive updates via RSS or email.  If any of this info helped you please share with a like, it really helps!

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

adina March 13, 2014 at 7:53 am

And how did it go?

Reply

Stephen March 30, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I am realizing I never did post follow-up results. I will try to do this in a blog post soon.

Basically 1/3’rd of my patients had favorable results that lasted over 12 months. Another 1/3’rd lost weight and gained it all (if not more) back, and another 1/3’rd made little to no change. This is consistent with almost all dietary regimens. The key, of course, is close follow up and support. This is something that is lacking in primary care medicine in the US, but something I am trying to focus on more in the coming years. This should get easier as electronic records become more robust.

It’s about support, close monitoring and consistent follow up. Also, a consistent exercise program is important. Less the type of exercise and more, the consistency of the exercise.

– Stephen

Reply

Leave a Comment

{ 5 trackbacks }

Previous post:

Next post: